Saturday, January 28, 2006

The American way of life

I live in a very small apartment built at the back of a house, looking not so much like the plan B in the architect’s mind than plan Y, but still a cosy place, as you can see in the picture. It shows the "garden" as we like to call it, and my door, and ALSO - the window to my room!! :) One important detail about American construction: it is fast. In 3 months, they can build a “hacienda” from scratch, but mind you, if the three little piggies had chosen an American house to hide from the big bad wolf, they would have become crunchy slices of bacon before they knew it. The walls are very thin, and seem to be made of not much more than paper. Maybe it’s just Texas… after all, this is a hurricane area. Maybe people got tired of building solid things that got blown away anyway, I don’t know.

myflat.JPG


Back to the point. In my apartment there are other 2 people living, a Colombian girl named Karen and a Mexican guy named Lohengrin. Do you see a pattern here? What became of Maria and Jose?! Well, Karen’s story I don’t know, but Lohengrin has this name because his father was very fond of Wagner’s music, and therefore decided to name him after one of Wagner’s operas, much to his happiness, I’m sure. Luckily, I bet that Lohengrin’s school companions did not know this is the opera the famous nuptial march comes from, otherwise his childhood would have been much worse... Anyway, both Karen and Lohengrin are nice people, friendly enough PLUS, they don’t have the bad habit of playing drums loudly like my previous housemates. Hehehe. Not that I minded… I mean, here, with these shaky things mimicking solid surfaces they call walls, you can hear everything, as if it were in your own room. And I shall say no more.
And with Karen I had the first attack of “Europeanitis”. Two weeks ago, I was invited to go to a pub by my Italian neighbours and also invited my housemates, and Karen replied with a “I can’t have beer”. I left with the feeling that the poor girl was sick, maybe taking antibiotic, which is more or less the only reason why I would deny a beer… Then I found out she was underaged, that is, less than 21, and that was why she couldn’t drink. This was the first detail that really made me realize I am in America now. I don’t know anyone in Portugal, or the Netherlands for that matter, that would let a minor thing like “laws” get in the way between them and a bit of fun.
Therefore, while sitting in an Irish Pub in Houston, TX (yes, Irish pubs do look all the same everywhere), I sipped my Corona (produto importado de Mexico) with extra pleasure, happy that the wisdom that apparently comes with age allows me to do the same stupid things any teenager would do, right under the approving eye of Law and Order.

So, you may ask, what IS there to do in Houston? Well. Not much. I heard the museums are very good, though. The only thing I saw so far was the Butterfly Tower, which is a building located at the Natural History Museum that simulates a tropical environment and where you can see hundreds of butterflies fluttering around you…

borboleta.jpg


Needless to say I was deeply in love with the place at first sight. You enter this extremely moist place, with exotic plants everywhere, and butterflies, like the one in the picture, flying around you, almost landing on your hands, shoulders and head, of all colours and shapes… It is really beautiful… There is also an iguana, and I managed to take a picture of it, which was quite difficult despite it being very still, because there was a swarm of people around it saying in a very American way: “is it real???? Yes, it’s real, look at it moving!!! It’s moving, dad, come and look!!” Well, shiiiit, I thought to myself, why would they put a plastic iguana there? I mean, why not then put plastic plants and plastic butterflies? Dude, these guys are like soooo stupid. Yeah, they really talk like this. And then I managed to squeeze in and take a picture of the poor iguana that was probably feeling like a scaly greenish version of Lady Di. By the way, in the Natural History Museum there is also an exhibition about Princess Diana. Don’t ask why... Dinosaurs to the left, Diana to the right… makes A LOT of sense.


iguana.jpg


After you leave the butterfly greenhouse, you step into the entomological exhibition, which is extremely good, I must say. It’s like Entomology ( = study of insects) 101 and it really touches every important point there is to know about insects… If you want to wander around, you can, and don’t pay much attention to details, but if you’re curious to know more, you can spend your whole afternoon there, reading the posters, with very accurate information about mimicry, plant-insect interactions, mutualisms (a whole poster dedicated to leaf cutter ants in Texas, ANIEK!!!), life-cycles, development, wow! I loved it. My Italian neighbours, with whom I went, weren’t that much interested in the giant cockroaches (the biggest are the ones from Madagascar, I shit you not, I’m never ever ever going there…), black-widows and horned-beetles, and I had to hurry through the exhibition so that they wouldn’t be waiting for me eternally…

My Italian neighbours!!! I still didn’t tell you about them. Valeria and Alessandro are both computer geeks and working in networks. They are here for 6 months like me, but Alessandro has already done almost all of his time, ehehe. He’s leaving in the end of February. Valeria will stay here the same time as me. They are both very nice, and so far my weekend plans have been with them. They live in the same 2426 Quenby, but in other parts of the house, actually you can see Valeria's front door in the next picture. They are lucky enough to have their own studio each, with private space, private bathroom, etc. No, I’m not complaining. Well, ok, I am.

2426quenby.jpg


Ok, that’s it for today. I’m going to the University now to plate some Klebsiella aerogenes! Ehehe. Great fun, really. Seriously.

6 Comments:

Blogger lique said...

Gostei de conhecer a tua casa, pois claro! Tem um aspecto um bocado frágil, mas enfim... devem ser maus hábitos nossos, aqui na velha Europa. Quem disse que as construções são para durar?
Está um frio danado, por aqui. Em Alenquer nevou. Aliás encontrámos neve até V. Franca, na auto-estrada. Interessante, não? Estou com uma sensação de "Dia depois de amanhã" que nem queiras saber... :)
Beijinhos. Até logo.

7:10 AM  
Blogger smallworld said...

Yeah, it tastes the same! Reaaaaally good! :) the necklace is very nice!!! By the way, the shops here are to die for... Owf... I have to really get a grip on myself. And i think I found The Hat, the one I've been looking for since Lowlands, remember? Ihihihi.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gostei de ver a tua casa. Realmente os 3 porquinhos não se safavam... E deves ter razão. Para quê construir casas caras e sólidas que vão pelos ares na mesma? :P estou a ver que ainda há coisas interessantes por aí, apesar dos americanos. Ah, já sei que resolveste seguir à regra a lei e não alimentar os crocodilos... Pobrezitos :) beijinhos.

p.s. hi Maya, how are you? Soon i will send you the photos, i promise.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stela...
forgive me for sending u this dumb mail...why did u change into Stela all of a sudden...r u like incognito ??
It was untill I started reading tht i realise this is ur log...
Maybe I'm getting old...all this digital communication, i need a break.
So happy to hear u found some good people around you.
Love Sjemmie!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Aniek said...

hi ana!! Goddag, hvodån gå det? great stories you tell, but I guess I already write this isn't? Wow, this butterflyplace sounds great! And a leaf-cutter poster, that is good, di you already ran into real Atta texana I ran here by the way into a real Texan guy, but he is from Austin..Tahank for the book as well, I did't realize it was teh complete book! :worship: hug,
Aniek

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

É fantástico, como tb em Inglês se notam as tuas qualidades literárias! Gosto de te ler… e mais, aprendo como se escrevem um infinidade de palavras que me andam sempre na boca, mas que nunca me atrevi a escreve-las! lol… Estamos sempre a aprender!
Este teu post deixa-me uma pergunta pertinente a pairar na mente: O que andamos nós a ver nos inúmeros filmes americanos que inundam a nossa industria cinematográfica? Também eu, só me dei conta da enorme diferença cultural entre a Europa e os EUA relativamente ao álcool quando me contaram episódios parecidos com o q descreves aqui. Mas, logo nos apercebemos que esteve sempre lá, nos filmes…
Deixo-te algumas sugestões, para pormenores anti-alcoolicos q podes observar no dia a dia, ai (penso)?
Onde está a secção de prateleiras de vinhos de mesa, à mão de semear?
Pq é que há senhores nos parques e nas ruas que seguram garrafas de vidro dentro de um saco de papel pardo?
O que é que o pai do teu orientador bebe ao jantar?
Com quantos copos de vinho se embebeda um Americano?
E é nestas alturas q penso que talvez sejamos mesmo um pais de alcoólatras! Lol…
Beijinhos, Ana

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home