Monday, March 19, 2007

The Long Blondes

I don't think I ever talked much about the club Vera here in Groningen. It's a pitty, because it's quite a cool club, and as a colleague of mine emphasizes, has a very prestigious hall of fame: Metallica, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Red Hot, they all played there, back when they were unknown bands trying to make a name. The same colleage told me Vera is even known in Canada as a cool alternative music club. Groovy.

Well... I go there from time to time (but actually my friend Maya was the hard-core Vera addict), and I always see really good concerts there. The best concert so far was from a Dutch band called De Kift. Not The Gift, please... For those who don't know, The Gift is a portuguese band also very famous within the alternative music circle, but honestly I can't stand their music, despite having no clue why. It's just not my cup of tea. Anyway, De Kift, yeah, are indeed very cool.

But last Friday I went to see a concert of The Long Blondes. Britpop at its best. I liked the music, but disliked the associated crowd of heroine-chic wannabe teenagers that filled Vera, as if an MTV show had jumped out of the small magic square (where it is kept for everyone's safety) into real life! But everything washed away with a couple of beers and in the end the concert was very nice.

By the way, I think I'm becoming more and more dutch - ALERT, ALERT, danger!!! Signs of dutchness: cycling everyday and a sudden love for really bad beer. I now discovered the "fluitje" version (the same as a mini in Portugal) and it is giving me many joys, because I can actually finish it... :P

3 Comments:

Blogger puta_madre said...

The Long Blondes?? Não gosto do nome mas enfim :P Com que então tas a ficar dutch, ha? Há coisas tristes na vida mas olha que essa supera muitos dos maiores horrores da história. Com certeza está no top ten. I want my sister back! :S

8:01 AM  
Blogger Filipe said...

Epa mas quem é que prefere uma banda chamada The Kift ou seja lá como isso se escreve, aos grandes e maravilhosos THE GIFT???
Too much pot in your head, says I...

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh rapariga mas à alguma coisa mais portuguesa que gostares de minis? Só te falta crescer um bigode (espero que não aconteça!!!)

Já tou de volta à Holanda, mas no meu desterro em Gaast, a ver se vou aí a cima fazer uma visita ao burgo. Da proxima fez que ouver assim um concerto fixe nesse club diz qualqur coisa, tenho curiosidade em conhecer um local em que tocaram os Nirvana e os Pearl Jam!!!!

Já agora, os Smashing Pumpinks, outro mito sagrado para quem nasceu na decada de 80 vão reunir-se e vêm tocar ao pinkpop este ano... interessante, não?

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home