Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back to life...

Well, mom came and went. She left a lot of things with me, the most precious were all the hugs that I missed so much. Now it's back to routine, back to the fruitless experiments in the lab, back to tango! :), and back to my crappy appartment. I stayed in the studio my mom rented in a nice hotel for the time she was here. For some time, I had the comfort of a real living room, with a dinner table and all, a television, a normal bathroon with some ventilation (I usually almost choke to death in mine, after a shower, and no I can't leave the door open... Not good if the housemates catch a glimpse of my behind in the shower, for a lot of reasons). Now it's back to the slum. Anyway, this won't last long. Fortunately my friend Clea has now a nice appartment, with a very cool kitchen, so I can put into practice my recipes (I bought recently a vegetarian cuisine book) and my old favorite, the famous Duarte pie (thus named by Maya, who associates this pie with the Duarte family). It's a pie made with condensed milk (yuuuuumiiiii), crumbles of Maria cookies, and whipped cream. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh my God.
I'd like to have some pictures of me and Mrs. Alice Duarte in the land of Cowboys, but no can do. My camera is out of batteries and I couldn't recharge them for some misterious reason. And my mother didn't bring any camera. I know, intellingence obviously runs in the family. Anyway. We visited lots of places, which I never had seen before, like the Museum of Fine Arts, the Zoo, the Galleria (the biggest shopping center in TeXas!!), and.... oh, yeah, the Museum of Natural Sciences. Well, Houston isn't very prolific in places to see. Plus it was very hard getting around without a car, taking cabs everytime... By the end of the first day I was already tired of talking to rude cabdrivers and deaf/dumb/just plain stupid telephone operators. There is something very wrong when you call a cab to the intersection of Rice Boulevard and Kelvin Street and the person tells you, "yes, but I need a physical address". Apparently, intersections exist on a metaphysical plane, not really a physical one. I tried explaining that two perpendicular lines only intersect in one point, but that seemed far-fetched to the operator, so I just told her a number on that street. That made her happy.
My mom liked Houston. With the exception of the Zoo, where she kept saying, "oh, the Lisbon zoo is waaay better than this... Look, OUR koalas had a baby on their back!!", everything was fun for her. I think the highlight was a Japanese festival we went to after the zoo, maybe because koalas with no babies were a poor match for a true japanese tea ceremony, where "Cha-do", the way of tea, was explained to us in detail and in the end we were served a taste of the japanese green tea. It tastes like freshly mown grass, with a touch of dead fish. But it wasn't bad. I found it quite cleansing. My mom nearly threw up, but it opened her mind to a whole new world of flavours.
By the way I strongly recommend the Fine Arts Museum if you're ever in Houston. It really impressed me. I specially enjoyed the collection of african gold pieces they had there, and an exhibition of an american sculptor, whose name I forgot..., but anyway, his pieces were simply beatiful and they really made my day. Joseph something. Whatever...
The Galleria was the dream of any shopping-aficcionada, such as me and my mom. We searched the grounds thouroughly for our prey, and we got it!!! I got a new jacket and my mom loads of stuff, mainly presents for others. We then walked in Saks Fifth Avenue and came out utterly depressed about the amount of things we couldn't buy. But it was nice. For me, some of the outfits I saw there were shoulder to shoulder with some paintings at the Fine Arts Museum.
Mom gone, all I can do now is do my best (a very tipical japanese phrase...ehehehe) and wait until I'm again with my family! Only in September!!! Ai ai ai... To compensate for the lack of photos, I'll leave another song. This one reminds me how far away I am but also of good things that I lived and hopefully will live again!! Like for example, LOWLANDS FESTIVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!



"Oh my God", Kaiser Chiefs

3 Comments:

Blogger lique said...

Então e como vai a vidinha, agora que a mãe já se conseguiu recuperar do jet lag?? Bolas, que para cá a coisa é mesmo mais complicada. Parecia um zombie no aeroporto de Paris... :))
A Inês também nos chamou nomes por não haver fotografias. Que se há-de fazer? :)
Beijinhos. Até logo

9:53 AM  
Blogger puta_madre said...

Primeiro: quero todos os tangos que andas a ouvir!!! Adorei o que puseste aqui. Segundo: Goto mutio ti :). Terceiro: eh, pá, não sei se dá para ir à Holanda porque não me recordo quando voltas para lá e tb não sei se me vai sobrar dinheiro.... Aparentemente tou a dever à Segurança Social. Bom, é capaz de dar mas quero poupar ao máximo. Logo vejo. Deixa-me receber antes de mais :P Na realidade, estava a precisar de uns dias de relax que isto de trabalhar fins-de-semana e feriados não tá com nada... Jinhos

3:07 PM  
Blogger puta_madre said...

Então não é que me esqueci de comentar o post? Como sempre muito bem escrito e cheio desse teu humor tão particular... Gostei imenso da parte dos cab drivers lolll :P e das operadoras.Ah! Sim , tirei fotos em Tomar! ;)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home