Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The return of the Dutch

Yes, here I am, back to the cozy (gezellige) city of Groningen, north of Holland. Elected this year as the best inner city of the Netherlands. Hmmm. Definetely it is a lively, interesting city, and I am happy to be back. I’m reacquainting myself with my old habits – riding the bike everywhere, that was the first, of course. I missed my city bike so much in Houston, and the ease with which bikes flow here, when comparing to the nerve-wrecking adventure that is riding a bike in Houston. I’ve been to the University already, to have a meeting with my supervisors… God, how I missed fruitful conversations without the fear of committing a mistake… I re-encountered all my friends here, had nice long chats with most of them, listened to all the gossips, and slowly, but steadily, I start to feel at home once more. I even went to the sneak again, and had the pleasure of watching a Thai martial arts movie about a guy looking for his two elephants in Sidney, Australia. Mostly spoken in Thai, I didn’t get a word, but still, I liked it. It brought me back to childhood, when I saw this Portuguese TV show called “Duarte e Cia.” (totally unrelated to me, I swear). The sound of breaking bones, kicks and punches was THAT fake.

But… something seems to be missing… Is it my impression or is the sun not shining enough? Is it just me or does everyone speak Dutch, instead of… say… English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Italian, Hindu, Japanese? And why did people suddenly stop apologizing (“Oh, I’m sorry, sweetie!”) when they block my way or step on my foot? Yep. I miss Houston.

Or is it just like Antonio Variacoes said: “So estou bem aonde nao estou, porque eu so quero ir aonde nao vou…” – I only feel fine where I am not, because I just want to go where I don’t go…

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bem-vinda à velha Europa!
Sem duvida que acho que todos nós temos períodos em que somos como o António Variações. E ainda bem… Acho que é bom levarmos connosco as boas coisas de cada local. Talvez seja o desejo de algum dia podermos estar num lugar perfeito, onde se conjugam todas as coisas boas de cada lugar, cultura e hábitos.
Boa readaptação
Beijinhos

4:42 AM  
Blogger aquelabruxa said...

"fruitful conversations without the fear of committing a mistake"?
como assim?

6:01 AM  
Blogger Ana said...

Vai tarde, mas já te tinha dado as boas-vindas e tenho andado cheia de trabalho. É o que dá trabalhar por conta própria, tenho de trabalhar que nem uma moura nuns meses para poder tirar duas semaninhas de férias. Mas, este ano, vou conseguir!! :)

Tenho pensado imenso em ti, porque estou a legendar programas que já vêm traduzidos em neerlandês... eheh Ah, e porque no outro dia o FC Porto estava a jogar em Groningen!

Ficas também a saber que o Duarte e Companhia está a passar outra vez em Portugal, na RTP Memória. Às vezes fico parva com o que víamos quando éramos pequenas, quando ainda só havia 2 canais e a RTP2 só começava ao meio-dia.

Espero que já estejas mais habituada à "tua" Holanda. aquelabruxa, acho que o que ela quis dizer com "fruitful conversation" foi, basicamente, poder ter conversas de jeito sem ter medo de pôr o pé na poça, porque os EUA são o país do políticamente correcto e das hipocrisias... Não que já lá tenha estado, mas está nos meus planos. Já agora, não fazes parte de um fórum de tradução? Acho que já te vi por aí...

6:54 AM  
Blogger aquelabruxa said...

sim, sanri, talvez

"a tradução em portugal" , apareço por lá, nome: lara.

no meu blogue há um link para esse fórum.

:)

não sei o que são conversas com medo de pôr o pé na possa, talvez só mesmo indo aos estados unidos perceba, que cena... o país da liberdade e tal...

3:20 AM  
Blogger aquelabruxa said...

poça

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home